In the picture you see above and the video below, we ran this exact base play (Wildcat Option Right) for the three plays previous and moved the ball 40+ yards. In this formation we had about 6 variants of it. The three previous playsbefore this one were:
- Wildcat Option Right 12 Delay (QB fakes hand off to 2 back underneath and then follows 4 back as lead blocker up the middle) -Play went for 12 yards
- Wildcat Option Right 46 Lead (2 back lead blocks for the 4 back into the 6 hole; X crack blocks OLB) – Play went for 19 Yards
- Wildcat Option Right 27 Fake 18 Bootleg (Sweep fake to left side by he entire offense; QB tucks the ball and bootlegs to the right) – 10 yards
At this point we had sucked in the Linebackers and they had 8 men in the box; this is where we burned them with the Wildcat Option Right X Go. Here are the key components:
- 2 back blocks left on the DE for blindside QB protection since the Y is releasing in route
- Y runs a short post to freeze the Safety in the middle
- 4 back takes the fake hand off and keeps the LB’s from picking up Y, forcing the Safety to freeze on Y
- Z was a decoy
- X runs a Go route, beats the CB and with the Safety frozen BAMMM! Touchdown!
We found this to be a great play that was very flexible with the many options.
Click Play below to view the video of the play